Proud to be an American

Monday, July 1, 2013

It's the first of July which means it's time for another Scrapstuffz "inspired by" Challenge!

Here is the inspiration image:
 

And here is what I created: 
**My Mind's Eye American Made collection**
I had taken these photos nearly 2 years ago and definitely had a vision for a layout when I took them.  Unfortunately, I lost my motivation at the time and never got around the creating it. But, that's where this challenge came into play.  I saw this very patriotic image and immediately remembered these photos.


So, obviously I used the colors and theme from the inspiration image.  I translated the starburst or circular design into the handmade pinwheels.  I also like how the hat in my photos kind of mimicked the design as well.  I used a few stars in the centers of the pinwheels and they are also on the large patterned paper background and, again, on the hat.  I also saw a chevron shape in the image so cut a couple of word embellishments in that shape to place near my pinwheels.  That's a lot of inspiration from one image!

The hand stitching on this title was a killer!  My finger tips were so sore.  I had to do it in 3 stages.  It goes without saying that I will likely not do that again...at least not for that many letters!


Layout design came from Scrapbook Generation's June free sketch. You can see it on Allison Davis' blog HERE.  It was for a single page layout but I stretched it into a 2-pager---even before she posted her reveals for HER 2-page layouts!  Great minds think alike, eh?

I hope that you have been inspired and will come check out Scrapstuffz "inspired by" Challenge blog.   Come see what the other DT members have created and then take the challenge yourself!  There  is a monthly prize awarded so we hope you will join in.  You have until the end of the month!

One more thing...Stacia (our fearless challenge leader) has started her own Etsy shop to meet your scrapbooking needs!  You can see what she has in store HERE.

This layout also fit a couple of other challenges.
About A Boy has a challenge running until the end of the month to use Red, White and Blue.
Scrap Our Stash is also using the same color scheme but includes an additional twist to use at least 3 pre-made stars.  Mine are tiny but there!  I used some left over die-cut stars that I had saved from a previous layout in the centers of some of my pinwheels. They may not be manufacturer pre-made, but they were pre-made by me and were sitting in my stash!

19 comments:

Mendi said...

What a fun layout! LOVE, LOVE the handstitching you did for the title! :)

Linda said...

What a wonderful layout, Steffanie! And, while your fingers may have hurt with the stitching, the finished product is magnificent!!!

Diana said...

Incredible layout! Love the stitching! Thanks for joining us over at About A Boy!

Dulcinea Silva said...

That is a fantastic two-page! I love all the details, but especially the handstitching title! Amazing! Thanks for playing along at Scrap Our Stash!

Devra said...

This is incredible! Your eye for detail is amazing! Glad you played along again at About a Boy

Brenshevia Baker said...

great job with the colors and the challenge, love it all. thanks for joining us at AAB!

joefil said...

What a wonderful layout! good job on the color challenge! thank you for playing along at Scrap our Stash..xx

Kerry said...

Fabulous job with your layout and adore the stitched letters and hope your fingers are feeling better! Thanks for joining us at Scrap Our Stash. xx

Lydia said...

I really love your layout! So clean and yet so much for the eye to see. Love the hat photos! Thanks for playing along with us at About A Boy!

Jenni Calma said...

I am always impressed with people who can do two page layouts well! You needed one for this, such fun photos! Your sewing on the title is amazing!! So glad you played along with us at Scrap Our Stash!

Glamotte said...

Wow what a great layout., Thanks for playing along with us at AAB!

Violent Kittie said...

Those pages are too fun! I love it when you can get the family to wear funny hats ;) Thanks for joining us at About a Boy!

Kelly said...

Fantastic job with the red/white/blue challenges and thanks for playing along with us at SOS and AAB! :)

Carol Peixoto said...

I cant beleive you handstitched that title! Awesome job! Thanks for playing along at SOS!

Lee-Anne Thornton said...

This layout rocks! Love everything about it Steffanie. Thanks for playing along at Scrap Our Stash.

Taru Jehkonen said...

great details and page! Thanks for playing along with us at ABB!

Elizabeth said...

This is absolutely amazing, I love your clean lined designs! Thanks for playing along with SOS!
e.

Brenda said...

Fantastic two page layout and great photos! Love the design and the patterned papers you used! Thank you for playing along at Scrap Our Stash!

Andrea Green said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this layout!!! The rounded corners look fabulous! I am totally "lifting" this :-)
http://papercandie.blogspot.com

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS