A Thought on Mixing Photos

Friday, November 30, 2012

Yesterday was Thoughtful Thursday over at thinking*through*design which means we have a new post up!  This time we are taking a look at mixing color photos and black & white photos within the same layout. 

Here is my example:


And here are my thoughts:

I love the idea of having a focal photo in color and the supporting photos in b&w.  For this layout, I think it worked out perfectly.  The papers I selected are pretty bright, as is the large focal photo.  I could have probably told the story with just that photo, but all the bright colors may have been too overwhelming.  By including the two smaller b&w photos, it not only helped to tell a little more of the story but also toned down all that bold color and gave the eyes a place to rest.  I actually had three b&w photos to include but couldn't come up with a design that I was happy with.  My solution to this dilemma was to tuck it behind the large photo and give it a pull tab (see *happy*).  This also created a place for me to add an embellishment and draw the viewer again to my focal photo.  Win-win!!

And here are a few close-up views:
Echo Park Little Boy collection
 
I hope you will come over to thinking*through*design and see what our other creative team members had to say about mixing color and b&w photos!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

This is fabulous! I love the bright colors in your papers and the photo, then the contrast with the black and white photos. Gorgeous!

blsd2scrp said...

love this!great idea to put pic in pocket behind color photo! love the title too!

Mendi said...

Love the look of the B&W with color. It's such a cool concept and for some reason, one that I've never tried. I gotta change that. Love your happy prints and colors! It's such a fun layout! :)

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS