Cards---elaborate vs. simple

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I enjoy making cards.  I think what I like is that I can complete them in one sitting as opposed to the sometimes days it takes me to complete a layout.  It's the relative immediate gratification in the finished product.  You have surely heard me say before that I am a slow scrapbooker.  Not that I don't enjoy the process....but I really like the sense of completion.  It makes me feel accomplished.  Like I did something productive.  

That said, I have a couple cards to share.  
This first one was for a scrappy friend of mine.  I took a lot of time selecting papers and creating this one.  But I don't mind.  It's kind of like a labor of love.  I know she will appreciate it and think of it like a gift.
 Crate Paper Farmhouse collection

This second one was made for my son's school friend.  He was invited to a party and needed a card to accompany the gift.  I kept it simple, knowing that it may end up in the trash after the party.  But cute, nonetheless.  Didn't take me much time at all.

While I spent vastly different amounts of time on each of these two cards, both still made me happy and brought me a sense of gratification.  How about you?  Do you like to make cards?  Do you spend a lot of time on them, or not so much?
Another question...if you make cards, do you mass produce them or make each one individually?  I generally make each one individually.  However, in the case of the kid's birthday card, having a few of those already made just waiting to be used would probably be a good idea!

4 comments:

Mendi said...

LOVE both your cards! I saw yesterday that Craft Warehouse had put these papers on clearance and I couldn't resist buying a few more of my favorites from the collection. Your card turned out beautiful! And I love the idea of mass producing simple kids birthday cards to have on hand (especially knowing they may not hold onto them).

I used to make 4-8 of every design, but now I'm lucky if I make 2. I found that I just have so many cards on hand and so many papers I want to play with that there's no need to make the exact same card every time. :)

okanogangirl said...

Fantastic visual Steffanie! I quite like them both. Thanks for sharing the concept, and different perspective.

photochic said...

I love making cards, as you probably already know. ;) I don't like mass producing cards, even though that is handy when I am making the to sell. I like making every one of them different. It just adds to the special-ness of the card. And I know what you mean about not trying too hard to make a card pretty becaus it'll probably end up in the trash anyway. Depressing, but it happens. :( Nonetheless I still love to make cards. I think of them as a mini layout. There's less space but you can still have as much fun!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

I love these cards!! You do cards so well. :) I always seem to struggle with them.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS