The Great Outdoors

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Have I ever mentioned how much I love to scrap outdoor photos ?  Well, I do.  I love the vibrant colors and the natural lighting. The photos are usually so much better than any I try to take indoors and require very little, if any, editing. These particular photos were taken on the same hike that I posted about a last week when we had a picnic in the woods.
 
I decided to try something new that I think I thought of all on my own.  At least I don't remember seeing it anywhere before.  Did you find it?  I'll give you a hint...it's the buttons.  They are made of cork.  Yes, I actually took a sharp knife and carefully sliced a cork that I had saved from a wine bottle.  I emphasize carefully.  It turns out cork does not cut as easily as you would think.  And, depending on the cork, it can be a bit crumbly.  Also, it's challenging to cut it to a uniform thickness.  All that said, I think I did pretty good and came out of it injury free!
I inked the cork just slightly with my Tim Holtz distressing tool to darken them and give them an aged look.  Then I threaded some embroidery floss through and tied it off to make it look like a button.
Patterned paper and sticker embellishments from October Afternoon's Campfire collection.  Layout design from Sketch Support.

14 comments:

Megan D said...

Very nice page Steffanie. You make me want to visit your area. I love that you use multiple pictures.

Beth Hallgren said...

Great idea Steffanie! Love all the photos you were able to include, the paper shows them off perfectly :)

blsd2scrp said...

This is awesome! love these photos and the design of layout!

Mendi said...

I agree! You can't beat the wonderful outdoors when it comes to getting great lighting for your photos. All of my favorite photos of my kids have been taken outside. Love your idea of slicing a wine cork to make your own homemade buttons! Such a creative trick! :)

Becky said...

Fabulous LO Steff!!! I love the use of corks, great natural element on your outdoor page!!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

A lovely 2 pager, Steffanie! And congrats on getting published in CK :) I finally got my mag yesterday and saw your LO--great job!

Moongirl said...

YOU DID A DOUBLE! I love the cork buttons.

Pam said...

Love that idea ! I'll have to remember that. Of course it takes us a really long time to drink a whole bottle of wine. LOL

Susan said...

Love that idea your pages are always so gorgeous.

Susan said...

Great idea. Your pages are always so beautiful!

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Wow! Another neat two page layout...love the design, colors, title, and the family photos! Great job cutting the cork from the wine bottle, a very clever idea!

GLOANN said...

Great idea, Steffi. Now I'm thinking about a sheet of cork for a bulletin board, etc. that I have. And a die for cutting buttons. Wow! Thanks for the inspiration. Love your outdoorsy LO.

Tulip Scrapper said...

Steff! Finally a use for the hundreds of corks I have! And i love that you used the distressing ink. Hmm. I wonder if my husband's band saw could make quick work of the cork, without making quick work of his fingers?

Jen Foster said...

Steffanie, this is beautiful! I love outdoor layouts and love how you put this one together. What a lovely idea, what you did with the cork! So cool! I would've never found it, if I didn't see it on the ckmb! lol

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS