Home of my Ancestors

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Last fall I had the amazing opportunity to go back east and visit Cape Cod.  Sandwich, Massachusetts to be exact.  This is where my ancestors first settled and started raising their families.  Way back in 1637.  Just 17 years after the Mayflower came to America.  Did you know that Sandwich is the oldest Cape Cod town?  Or that my ancestor, Thomas T., was one of 10 original founding fathers of Sandwich?  Pretty cool, isn't it?!? 

This, my first scrapbook page from this trip, was inspired by an ISSUE challenge over at Club CK to use numbers on your layout.  Erika provided a wonderful sample where she used her childhood postal code in the title of her layout.  I loved this idea and started thinking about my trip last fall.  Now I realize that back in the 1600's when this country was just beginning, there likely was not a need for postal codes.  But that doesn't mean I can't reference it in present day, right?
  I cut this adorable Massachusetts shape with my Silhouette.  The stencil negatives "M" and "A" are old remnants from my stash.  Originally blue, I just painted them white.  I'm really loving the wood veneer shapes from Studio Calico right now.  I placed an itty-bitty star where Sandwich is located.  The sailboats are a symbol of the ships used by my ancestors to come to America. 
I tore the Washi tape lengthwise because it seemed too wide as it was.  I like the interest the irregular edge adds and the way it looks like the sailboat is riding the "waves".
 
I wanted to tell a bit more about the significance of Sandwich and my ancestors so I created a pull-out for my journaling.  I printed some basic history on a 4x6 plain index card and then added a strip of printed paper to the left edge.  Layered circles became the pull tab.  All patterned papers are from Studio Calico.

I'm really happy with how this turned out.  I had a basic vision of what I wanted and just stuck with it.  This one didn't even take me days to complete...just an afternoon!

8 comments:

Mendi said...

Love how this turned out! The colors, the layout, that fun zip code font (paired with the little black letter stickers) and the journaling on the notecard with a touch of patterned paper are all awesome! :)

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Very sharp! I really like the colors, love the MA title area, including the shape of the state, and the map paper! Great ideas!

Andrea said...

ooh! Love how you used a postal code on a LO! so neat!

TenSGal said...

Very nice and what a great subject. I'm a Cape Cod descendent too....my family is mostly from the Eastham area just past Orleans)....my sister has a house in Barnstable but actually lives on Nantucket. Ahh....the Cape....what wonderful memories. What a beautiful part of the country!

Tulip Scrapper said...

Steff, I love how you did this! I really need to get the state's Cricut cart. I love your attention to detail.

Pam said...

Very cool !

melshappyscrappyplace said...

what interesting family history!! Love the pull out journaling and your cut outs. Great job!

Becky said...

I love this page!! Love the MA cutout and the negative letters!!
I didn't do that challenge but I've had all these "number" ideas floating around in my head since then.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS