Almost Home

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

As some of you know, my brother is a member of the Air Force.  He has traveled to many places throughout out his career---some exotic, some not so much.  Currently he is finishing a tour in one of those not-so-exotic places.  I think it's safe to say that it has been his least favorite location so far.  He has been counting down the days since his arrival and is now only about a week away from departure.  Thank goodness!  

Anyway, at first I didn't really consider the power of snail mail.  You know, the paper stuff that needs a stamp?  I was sending emails..we even Skyped.  But about 4 months in, I noticed a definite change of tone when talking with my brother. He sounded very down.  It was then that I resolved to start sending him mail.  The kind where he gets to hear his name during mail call.  The kind letting everyone around know that someone cares about you and that you are loved.  That you are not as forgotten as you may feel. 


This is the latest card I made for him.  It should arrive very soon if it hasn't already.   We have all been writing a small message in the cards I've sent so that he knows this whole family loves, misses and appreciates him.  I hope they have helped.  Soon you will be home, Derek.  Hold onto that thought!


8 comments:

Mendi said...

Love this! I agree that nothing is better than a physical card that you can hold onto, enjoy and re-read. I'm sure he's going to love it! What a great sentiment and the papers are so perfect! :)

Beth Hallgren said...

Awww, so sweet Steffanie :) What a cute sentiment!

ELLEN said...

Wonderful card, and I agree there's nothing like a letter from home! Whether it's having someone call your name at mail call or opening your.mailbox, it's always a thrill that warms your heart.

Tracey Sabella said...

Gorgeous card, and I know your personal touches must mean so much to your brother! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

okanogangirl said...

I love how you say the kind to have his name called so everyone knows people love him. Well said. Awesome card.

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Such a wonderful idea, I'm sure your brother has loved receiving cards and letters from you and your family...so very thoughtful! Love the card!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

I love your card! What a sweet thing to do for your brother :) I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Linda said...

Love the card and the thought that went into it. This is a good reminder that even though technology has made such wonderful advances, nothing replaces the feel of getting real mail. Hope your brother stays safe!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS