Fun times at CK Summer Camp!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Creating Keepsakes held their annual summer camp last week and it was all about mixed media!  I never considered myself to be a person who uses mixed media but according to CK's latest special issue Mixed Media Scrapbooking, you're working with mixed media any time you add something other than paper and photos. That means you're a mixed media artist if you add brads, staples, paint, spray ink, cupcake liners, fabric, etc. to your pages.  Well, that applies to me. 

It was a crazy busy week for me and I really didn't think I would be able to participate at all.  I was working a couple days, went to Mt. St. Helen's one day with the boys, took them to the county fair another day....all the while also trying to get ready for my second annual scrap retreat with my CK peeps in Washington this week!  Somehow though, I managed to find a little time on Saturday to work on a few challenges.  There were 5 in all...i did 4 of them.  Not bad for one day!


Challenge:  Alter Stickers
I added Stickles to the sun in the upper left corner and also Glossy Accents to the title letters.  Glossy Accents is a clear medium that adds dimension and shine when dry.  Hard to see in the photo but definitely noticeable in person.  By the way, the background paper is white, not some weird shade of blue.  I thought I fixed it in PSE...but it still looks blue here. :-(

Challenge:  Create a smash-style page incorporate one or more found items and a color medium such as paint, colored pencils, or markers.
I have had a SMASH book for about 6 months but had not actually done anything with it.  This challenge was just the push I needed.  I had ticket stubs left from seeing The Hunger Games with Nicholas.  I used these along with a recent photo of us and an image of the book cover printed from the internet to create my first SMASH book page.  I brushed on a little white acrylic paint with a dry brush, stamped some journal lines, added some bits of patterned paper and Washi tape...done!
 
Challenge:  Create your own inspiration board of any size or color incorporating some metal--wire, paper clips, badges/flair, mesh, foil, or whatever works for you.
I have stuff all over my scrap room that I am inspired by, collect or want to use on a future page.  Sometimes it's new product, memorabilia, a special photo...the Dove foil wrappers that I seem to collect...whatever. This was a challenge for me to pull it together in one place.  I chose to use a Creative Memories magnetic frame that has an attached ribbon for hanging items.  I used a magnetic metal clip in the upper right and attached a pre-made flower to dress it up.   I also added some pretty patterned paper to the background for interest.

Challenge:   Create a layout, card, or project of your choosing using scraps of fabric.
I knew right away what I wanted to use here.  I had this pretty scrap of fabric that I received in a kit probably a year ago.  I also had some crocheted flowers.  Both were items I had won from various giveaways or challenges I had entered...I love winning things! I punched the border peaking out underneath and used circle punches to create the leaves.  I also machine stitched around the edge of the cardstock before I even got started.  

I also earned these fun badges for participating!  makes me feel like a girl scout! :-) 
Thank you to Creating Keepsakes and Club CK for another fun week of camp!
 
 
 
Altering Stickers
 
 
 
 
 
 
Using Found Items
 
 
 
 
 
Using Metal
 
 
 
 
 
Using Fabric
 
 

5 comments:

Megan D said...

I like how you livened up the sun!

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Love your projects from CK Summer Camp! I didn't get a chance to participate in camp but loved looking at the neat ideas, more great inspiration to use later! I love your card, so very cute! Have a great time at your scrap retreat!

Mendi said...

These are all awesome! I especially love that girly card with the fabric scraps! Hope you have fun at your CK Retreat--Tell Amanda "hi" for me. :)

Tracey Sabella said...

Wow, such gorgeous projects!! Love the art journal page!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

ELLEN said...

Beautiful projects! I didn't get a chance to participate in Summer Camp but it sounds like lots of fun.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS