Using calendars

Monday, July 16, 2012

The latest thought over at thinking*through*design is on using calendars.  Here is what I had to say about it and what I created!


 As much as I looked forward to being a part of this "thought", I actually struggled with it quite a bit.  I have a great "whole" calendar stamp that I have used before (see sample layout at t*t*d).  But for this thought, I wanted to try using some of the cute little embellishments that you see where you just circle stuff---the date, year, season, day of the week.  You get the idea.  I started by printing from my computer the larger polka-dot circle (download from Silhouette).  I then borrowed a stamp set from a friend that had different years and the seasons.  I got the basic layout together alright.  With that done, the embellishing is where I got hung up.  I had a hard time finding balance, creating a visual triangle and tying the calendar elements in with the rest of my layout.  I wanted it to look like it belonged there, not as if it was just something that I was forced to use.  Eventually the sticker embellishments and word strips helped to achieve unity on my layout.  Although it was difficult, I am glad that I stuck with it.  I liked being able to circle the month, season and year to document time and also having it serve as a point of interest.

 
 
 

I hope that now you will head on over to thinking*through*design and see what the rest of our Thoughtful Girls had to say on this subject and how they used calendars on their layouts!

Supplies:  Echo Park Happy Days collection, American Crafts Thickers, black baker's twine, Stampin' Up! It's a Date stamp set, red eyelets, circle punches, Fiskars postage stamp border punch.

6 comments:

okanogangirl said...

Happy Days & Calendars are a PERFECT fit! Love it - and the stamp at the bottom is awesom - I might need that. I love your perpendicular lines you used and the twine. Fantastic execution!

Tracey Sabella said...

Such a fabulous LO!! Love the calendar circle and all your bright cheerful colors!! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Beth Hallgren said...

Love the dark background and how it makes the colors pop! It doesn't show that you struggled with this assignment :)

Ashley Horton said...

Great page Steffanie!! Love the EP on the dark background and all of the fun paper strips!! Great use of the calendar, too!

Megan D said...

Very cute page Steffanie! I love all the different papers. Very cool way of using the eyelets and twine.

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Very sharp...love the bright colors against the black background! I really like the strips of paper behind the photos, cute calendar, too!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS