TTD: Grounding photos

Thursday, June 28, 2012

It's Thoughtful Thursday at thinking*through*design and today we turn our thoughts to how and why we ground our photos on our scrapbook pages.  Here is my thought and what I created.

 I think after scrapping for 10+ years, grounding photos finally comes naturally for me.  However, I have relied heavily on sketches and have definitely done my share of lifting ideas from other scrapbookers during my learning process.  For this layout I wanted to test myself and see if I could really do it without any kind of visual aid.
After selecting my photos and papers, I began by cutting a large block of patterned paper to be the main "anchor" for my photos.  I had a title in mind and knew that I wanted the key words to be next to the coordinating photo which helped me decide to orient my photos vertically rather than horizontally.  In order for my photos to be grounded by the patterned paper, I had to also orient the paper the same direction.  By overlapping my photos onto the patterned paper, I have achieved the first step in grounding.  I then cut a border strip and a stripe print to add some visual interest running behind my photos, helping to draw the eye to my focal point and also further ground my photos.  Looking at my page with just the paper block, strips and photos, I felt that there was too much open space on the left.  It seemed like something needed to ground those elements to the background cardstock and also help anchor my title.  This is where the larger light teal colored cardstock came in.  I trimmed it to help fill in the "white space" and found that it also helped to ground the left side of my photos.  Another grounding element is the small horizontal strips of patterned paper.  Note how they help to ground the entire layout and give it a cohesive feel.  I actually think I surprised myself at how easily I was able to ground my photos.  The process of thinking it through while creating really helped me to see the how and why.  It was pretty cool!
Now I hope you will hop on over to thinking*through*design and see what our Thoughtful Girls had to say about this topic and the works of he{art} they created.

4 comments:

Tracey Sabella said...

Such a wonderful LO!! Thanks for sharing your process!! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Beth Hallgren said...

Love how the vertical and horizontal strips lead your eyes around the page! Great job Steffanie :)

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Another neat layout...love the puzzle paper and green pig element! Darling photos! I enjoyed reading your layout process.

Ashley Horton said...

Such a cute page, Steffanie!! Love the colors you used on this one and the mix of alphas in your title!!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS