ScrapFIT DT reveal!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

This is Workout #61 and my first as a ScrapFIT DT member! I'm super excited to share this with you! Our workout is titled Blank Canvas. Basically, every good layout starts with one and our assignment was to start with a WHITE background and build from there. That's it! I know, right? Pretty simple...or pretty open-ended!!! I will admit, I was actually quite intimidated at first. I think I was hoping for more direction. It took me a while to decide what to do. I leafed through a few magazines and eventually cam up with some ideas. I had this photo in my library from a class I took a couple summers ago from Jessica Sprague. It seemed perfect for what I had in mind. It has selective coloring---such a fun technique to play with in Photoshop!
I wanted to do some misting so the background wouldn't be so...well...WHITE. However, I only have 2 bottles of mist. One called mustard seed and the other, log cabin. Neither where really what I had in mind for this page filled with primary colors. I decided to try making my own mist, thinking...what have I got to lose? A piece of paper maybe? Other people do it...certainly I can, too. The results were satisfactory. I was hoping for a little brighter orange but just couldn't seem to achieve it. So the look is a little more subtle than I wanted but in the end, I'm okay with that! The gears were naked chipboard given to me in a RAK at one time. I used my stash of acrylic paints to get the colors I wanted.
The title letters loves and trucks were cut using my Silhouette. I stamped over trucks with a background stamp to give the letters a little more interest. The stamp is called Canvas from Stampin' Up!. I love to use stitching on my layouts and have seen many examples recently of stitching used to outline objects on a page. I hadn't used stitching in this way before and decided why not try now. I love how it looks!
All of the patterned papers and sticker letters are from Echo Park's Little Boy collection. All paper edges are inked with dark brown for added contrast between pieces.
I hope you will join us over at ScrapFIT and take part in this fabulous workout! I'd love to see what you create with your Blank Canvas! If you participate, be sure to link up your photo to their site for a chance to win this prize pack from our sponsor, K Studio!

13 comments:

Tracey ~ GardenOfGrace said...

What a fabulously fun LO, Steffanie!! Love your stitching, the fab gears, and misting. I make my own mist sometimes too! Great take on the workout! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

GLOANN said...

You pulled out all the stops for your first assignment. Love what you have done with this, Steffi. Off to check out the others at ScrapFit.

Moongirl said...

It's adorable!

KellyF said...

Love it! The stitching is fabulous, so is the homemade mist, looks great! Overall wonderfully design.

Lisa Watson said...

Your layout is sooo fantastic!!! Love the B&W photo with only the truck in color. I love how vertical your layout looks with the photo and papers all in one line. Its FAB!!

Lean said...

Cool boy's page you have made with lovely fresh colors..and i like how you add the title!
byebye,Lean..

Derv said...

Love this Steffanie. I think the misting is just your style. Subtle and not overpowering the photo or design.

Cassie said...

I really love your layout and that main picture. So totally cute!

Beth Hallgren said...

Love the stiching around the circle elements, reall draws attention to them. Adorable layout!

okanogangirl said...

Great stitching and offset use of pictures.

Erin Blegen said...

Steffanie, I've been meaning to get over here and tell you how much I absolutely LOVE this layout!! It's just so darn adorable! I love the photo treatment on your main photo, the stitching, and I think your mist turned out great! And the circular photos are just perfect- this whole LO is perfect.

Martine said...

what a great boy page! love the design, with the blocks of pp in the middle and the circles on the outside!

csewy said...

Very cute....love the EP papers, misting, and chipboard gears. Love the circle repeat with the circular photos and journaling spots!! Great job with your first DT layout!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS