Layout using a sketch

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Frosted Designs is using a sketch this month from one of my favorite sketch designers---Ashley Horton! So, of course I had to give it a try and enter their challenge. I used a Christmas themed collection from my stash, Scenic Route's Roxbury.
I took some inspiration from Ashley's sample layout and paper-pieced a tree. I also really liked the scallops in the upper left and lower right corners of her layout. I chose to add them only at the upper left of mine. There's lots of dimension here---the title, the embellishments and the journaling. The red letters in the title are an old alpha stamp set that I have, probably one of the first stamps I ever purchased. I needed something large enough but still smallish that would show up against the patterned background. These were perfect!
I had one more photo that I wanted to include but had a hard time deciding where to put it. My solution? Tuck it in behind something with a pull tab. I had to include the knock-out punch somehow! Here is Ashley's sketch. You can see more of her incredible work on her blog.

7 comments:

JayKaye said...

Great take on this sketch. Love how you hid the third photo!

Moongirl said...

I love the tree!!!

Pamela said...

Oh I love this!! Great layout! :)

csewy said...

So very cute....love your take on Ashley's sketch, your paper, and the hidden photo!!! Love the title!

Andrea Fogleman said...

Awesome job on the sketch! I love the colors and your tree. Fabulous! Thanks for joining us for a sketch challenge over at Frosted Designs.

missybossy65 said...

This is fab! Love the hidden photo and it's not just the letters that are perfect....the whole thing is gorgeous :0) Thanks for playing along with Frosted Designs, Ali x

melshappyscrappyplace said...

LOVE it, Steffanie!!! Thanks for playing along with us at Frosted Designs!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS