My latest craze...

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Over the last few months I have stumbled across some adorable coaster sets made from everyday tile. You know, the kind you buy at Home Depot for 16 cents a piece? After reading a tutorial on this blog, I decided this was something I needed to try.

My supplies:
4 inch ceramic tile in either white or cream
Mod Podge (I prefer the matte finish)
Black felt
Beacon Fabri-Tac adhesive
Acrylic spray sealer (I chose a satin finish)
Coordinating patterned paper

I love the 6x6 paper pads for this craft. It makes paper selection so easy and the patterns are already shrunk down so that you don't lose the design when you cut it. Papers and felt squares (for the bottom) are all cut to 3.75 inch squares. Mod Podge is used to adhere the paper. After letting it dry, I then applied 2-3 more thin coats, allowing dry time between each. Acrylic sealer is sprayed on last. I applied 2 thin coats of this as well. Glue the felt squares to the bottom with Fabri-Tac and you're done!
Now they are ready for your favorite drink or wrap them with some pretty ribbon and give as a gift. Now I'm off to go find more pretty paper.... ;-)

**Note---those who know me, know that I ink the edges of everything. These were no exception. I used Staz-On in Timber Brown on the paper edges before adhering. I like the way that little something extra makes the paper "pop" off the tile.

3 comments:

csewy said...

So very cute...thanks for the neat idea!!!

Becky said...

Love those!!!

GLOANN said...

They're really pretty, Steffi. I, too, like the little distinction that inking gives. I rarely do anything that I don't ink.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS