Craft Warehouse---assignment 1

Friday, July 15, 2011

I am so excited to be creating for Craft Warehouse! I finally got my first assignment the end of June. It included all of this beautiful product from a new company called Authentique. Let me just say, the quality of this paper is incredible. It's thick and sturdy and has a texture to it kind of like old handmade paper. I received the Blissful collection which has all these warm yellow, deep brown/almost black and kind of a charcoal grey/kraft colors in it. I'll admit, when I first got my box and opened it, I was a little intimidated. If you know me as a scrapbooker at all, you know that this is not probably anything I would buy for myself. Not that I wouldn't admire it in the store! It's gorgeous, no doubt. But I scrap boys...and I prefer more simple designs. So I stared at it a good week or more before I finally got started.

Up first is this 12x12 layout. I remembered I had this photo of the boys taken in May of 2010 that I had converted to a b&w/sepia tone for a calendar gift last year. The tones in this photo worked perfectly for this collection. My assignment included using glimmer mist...something I did not own and had no plans of purchasing (lol!). I'm a tidy scrapper and glimmer mist is messy. Why would I have a need for this? Well, turns out I really like it. I was given Glimmer Mist in Mustard Seed which was just the perfect golden shimmery accent to these papers. I sprayed it on the background cardstock which helped to soften the white space. I ended up also spraying it on the long paper strip on the right of my page and also the pleated flower. The effect is subtle, which I love! Speaking of the flower, I had been wanting to make one of these pleated flowers that I've been seeing everywhere. I did a google search for tutorials and found several videos. They are so simple to make! The only thing I would have done differently is ink the edges before I creased and folded...I did it after which still worked, just would have been easier with a flat edge. And I couldn't leave it un-inked....I ink everything!
Next up is the card. I found inspiration over at Sketch Support. I like how it's pretty straight forward---really just an assortment of cut strips in different sizes. I used my ribbon as one of the strips. I inked the edges of all my paper strips before adhering. The quote on the front I actually found on the bottom of my patterned paper---you know, the part you cut off and throw away? A nice little find! The bird stamp is from Unity Stamp Co. and came with a phrase which I stamped inside the card. It says, "life does not need to be perfect to be WONDERFUL". I thought it worked really well with the quote on the front.
Lastly, this 8x8 layout using resist chipboard and the glimmer mist again. Our dear cat Lucy is the subject and I think her coloring works beautifully with these papers. I didn't have any fancy dies for cutting the chipboard (the dot pattern) so I used a circle punch to kind of "score" the topside if the chipboard and then finished cutting it away by hand. I then pressed my black ink pad into the cut pieces to color the background, then wiped the excess away leaving the embossed dots unchanged. I had never worked with this type of product before and I have to say, it was pretty fun transforming it into something new! I then sprayed those pieces and the punched butterflies with the glimmer mist. It's subtle and especially hard to see in these photos. But it's there...trust me!
After working with this collection, I'm so happy that I received what I did. There is another collection from Authentique that has all the blues in it called Journey. I was actually hoping for that one! In the end though, I loved working with the Blissful line and am really happy with my projects. Now I can't imagine working with the other collections!


17 comments:

Emeraldvalkyrie said...

Love your projects! They make me want to go buy those papers!

melshappyscrappyplace said...

Gorgeous projects, Steffanie!!
Melissa

Ashley Horton said...

Beautiful projects Steffanie!! I love those Authentique papers and you did an amazing job with them! Great start for your first assignment!

JayKaye said...

Beautiful use of these papers. Makes me want to buy them!

Linda said...

You did a fabulous job with these papers. Sometimes, going out of our comfort zone is a wonderful thing!

GLOANN said...

Steffi, you've done it! Those are beautiful. If this was out of your comfort range, no one would ever guess.

Adele said...

Absolutely stellar, Stef! Way to go :D

Susan said...

Those are beautiful. I like the colors, but I can't wait to see the blue set. You always do such a beautiful job on layouts. Great job.

okanogangirl said...

Beautiful!!!! You've inspired me to go buy the papers and I don't like yellow!

KellyF said...

All of your projects are absolutely gorgeous!! Great job on your first assignment, very exciting!

Gloria said...

Absolutely amazing layouts and card! How great to be able to take product you are not so sure about and make it look that good! I think they'll be very happy they chose you for their DT!

Beth Hallgren said...

You did an amazing job with this line!!! Love the touches of pink and your kitty is so cute :)

lalmack said...

For someone who wouldn't normallychoose these colors or the mist...your LOs are beautiful! You gave me some really great ideas that I might have to 'lift' from you!

csewy said...

Gorgeous projects...the layout of your boys turned out beautiful, love the photo in sepia!!! Congratulations on your first assignment, WTG!!!

Moongirl said...

Oh, I love them all! Great paper and I am not much of a yellow fan. I like these though.

Tulip Scrapper said...

Way to show off those lovely papers Stef! I can definitely see why you were picked for the design team.

DanaMK said...

You did such a great job with all three projects!! I think that you made what could be tough colours work really well with your subjects - way to go!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS