Completed my first 10K---EVER!!!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Some of you know that I entered my first ever foot race. Well, not so much a race as a running event. I was definitely not in it to win but rather just to finish and see how well I could do. This was a 10k trail run through part of Forest Park. I originally never considered doing a 10k when I first made this one of my goals for this year. I thought 5k would surely be plenty! But my friend Mary Kelly and I stumbled upon the Go Girl Trail Run---a run through a gorgeous wooded forest! Only one hang up---it's a 10k!! We decided to go for it anyway and I'm so glad we did.

I had been training a little...but not near enough. We knew that it started in a ravine and that it would be uphill at first...but I had no idea how long of an uphill or how steep it would be! Probably a good thing or I might have never agreed to do this. I think it was a good 1.5 miles before it seemed to level off---it was grueling!! The trail was not only steep but embedded with large rocks making the footing a bit tricky and a perfect set-up for twisted ankles. I tripped once going up but it was minor and I caught myself pretty easily. After it leveled out a bit, the run was great. Mary Kelly and I were able to visit and just enjoy the beautiful scenery. Plus we had finally spaced ourselves out a bit from the pack which was nice. After making a big loop along the Wildwood Trail, the course eventually leads you back to the ravine and back down the same trail that we climbed up in the beginning. Although going downhill was nicer than going up, we were getting tired. And remember the embedded rocks I was telling you about earlier? Well, my word for that portion of the trail is treacherous. Tired legs and tired ankles coupled with steep downhill trail embedded with rocks...not a good combination. I took a big stumble but managed again to catch myself without even touching the ground or getting dirty! I think I must be part cat---lol! After making it back down the hill, the finish line finally came into view. Somehow, I thought I would have this great burst of energy that would effortlessly carry to the finish line. Instead, I looked at the finish line and simultaneously felt the heaviness in my legs. They were actually telling me to stop and walk. But who stops and walks just yards from the finish line??? Especially when your family is waiting to see you finish? I couldn't do that. So I poured out what little bit of speed I had left and tried to get myself there as fast as I could...so that THEN I could stop....and hug my husband and kids who were there to support me. Mary Kelly and I crossed the finish line together---VICTORIOUS and injury free!!!!
Pre-race photo
Crossing the finish line. Why do I look like I'm about to die and Mary Kelly looks like she's just getting her stride?
Post-race photo. Is it just me or does Mary Kelly look unchanged from the pre-race photo while I'm all red in the face and sweaty? Who cares! We finished!!!
Will we do it again? I think so. Especially if I still have the best running partner and motivator EVER! And if I can somehow wipe the memory of that grueling uphill portion in the beginning....
And guess what? I'm not even really sore. A little tightness in the hamstrings but barely noticeable. We finished in just under 1hr 18 minutes and I placed 223rd out of 500 participants overall. I DO feel victorious!

11 comments:

Mary said...

AWESOME...You did great!!!!

Adele said...

Woooo hoo, YOU! That's a fabulous accomplishment, Stef!

Susan said...

Congratulations!! You were in the top half!!! WE are so proud of you!!!

Gloria said...

Incredible! I can barely make it up the stairs at work and you ran a 10K. I think you look beautiful in both pics! What an incredible picture of determination and endurance! Definitely an inspiration to me! Way to go Steff!

Gloria (grammachurch)

Emeraldvalkyrie said...

WOW...that is very awesome! It's not something I think I could ever do. I really admire you for it!

ELLEN said...

Woo Hoo Stephanie! What a great way to complete your first ever 10k! Placing in the top half of the pack is quite an accomplishment for your first ever 10k run! Looking forward to seeing some layouts with your pics.

csewy said...

Totally awesome!!! Your 10K sounds very grueling, especially the up and down hill!! The time was very impressive, along with finishing in the top half, WTG!!! I haven't ran for a long time, I stick with a fast walk! Congratulations!

Beth Hallgren said...

A big congratulations to you!!! What an achievement, you should be so proud of yourself :)

Jennifer DeWolfe said...

Congratulations on such an awesome accomplishment! Good for you! I completed my first 5K this year and I tell you it was not easy so I am in awe of you and your 10K! Way to go!

Auntie Em said...

Congrats on doing the running event! That would be a long walk for me, let along run! Awesome!!! :)

Moongirl said...

Nice job! I would be all sweaty and red too... I tend to get really red in the face when I am hot. DS too.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS