Teacher thank you gift

Friday, June 17, 2011

Although I'm not feeling less busy yet, at least some of the busy-ness has allowed me to play with paper...one of my favorite things!
I decided to create a mini album for Andrew's 1st grade teacher. In my opinion, she is one of the best out there. She taught 1st grade to Nicholas and I loved her then...I still love her now! She's amazing and I wanted her to know it. So I created this:
It measures about 5"x 3.75". It started as naked chipboard, a larger piece that I cut in half. I had some $1 bin scrappy paper I had purchased at Target back in the fall that I thought was perfect for this. After covering the chipboard inside and out, I painted the edges red so no naked-ness would show. The "I {heart} learning" and "books" stickers are also from the $1 bin---they are 3D! The apple was a long-ago purchase from Michael's and the buttons were from my stash. I love the look of stitching so I hand drew the white lines onto the blue circle. I was lucky enough to receive a Bind-It-All from a friend who decided to give up paper scrapping. Lucky me! This was the first time I ever used it and I am so impressed! What a cool tool!
For the inside, I found a great quote over at http://www.dennydavis.net/. This is my favorite place to go for poems, quotes, verses....I often alter them slightly to suit my specific needs. I loved this one. It says what I wanted to say. I even read it to Andrew and he agreed.
Each of the remaining inner pages has a photo of each of her students (minus two that had to leave before the end of the year). I was fortunate enough to be a chaperone for the zoo field trip the week before the last week of school. At lunch when we were all gathered on the concert lawn, I went around and quickly got head shot photos of each child. Honestly, I can't believe I got them all and didn't even miss one! And they all turned out good---no retakes!
I had Andrew take it to school with him the last day and give it to her. She passed out the student's memory books that day (which I had a huge part in creating and assembling also). She then said to the kids "Look! I have a memory book, too!" She sent a lovely thank-you note home with Andrew. I know she will treasure it and I'm so glad I did it! I will miss having her as a teacher to my kids but I think I will always keep in touch with her ;-)

3 comments:

Julie (JuleZ) said...

Sweet gift. I am sure she loved the mini book and memories.

Moongirl said...

Cute book and your son is adorable!

Unknown said...

OMG. I'm so in love with this project. Would you mind if I'll use your idea for next year teachers appreciation gift?
Thank you for sharing. Lena.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS