Sketch it to Me!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Welcome to the Sketch it to Me Blog Hop! I'm so happy to have you here today! If you have arrived from Laura's blog, then you are in the right place! If not, you will want to go to Amanda's blog, where all the fun begins! You won't want to miss even one step of this fun hop!

So, as the title suggests, the theme of this hop is a sketch. Amanda provided the sketch---we each created a layout based on the sketch.This is what she provided:
Here is my take on it:

I ended up taking quite a departure from the sketch although it was not intended that way. I needed to rotate the orientation of the photo block to accommodate the photos I wanted to use. That was the first change. Then somewhere in the paper selection process, I wanted to use the papers differently than the sketch suggested. So, I went with it! After all, sketches are supposed to be a jumping off point, a source of inspiration...right? I also flipped the sketch vertically placing my journaling/title to the right side rather than the left. I just had to use the cute little birdhouses so I placed them where an embellishment would go anyway, according to the sketch. The branch was cut using my Silhouette. I placed a second embellishment (the buttons) similarly to the sketch, although a bit lower.

Something fun I did was make my own corrugated alphas. I have the cute pre-made ones from Jillibean Soup but I wanted to see if I could replicate the look using my Silhouette and my crimping tool. Here are a few photos.
Before:
After:
Mine (top) vs. Jillibean Soup:

Not bad, huh? I think what I liked most is that I can overlap them easier than the pre-made ones because there is no backing on mine---one groove fits nicely into another!

That's it! I hope you enjoyed visiting today! Now if you'd like to leave a comment below you'll be entered to win a prize from Amanda. And if you also become a follower of my blog, I will draw a name for a little prize from me, too! (be sure to tell me you're a follower in the comments). Now you need to hop on over to Cassie's blog...



37 comments:

Veronica said...

Love your take on the sketch! Also love how you made your own corrugated letters!!!

okanogangirl said...

Fabulous Steffanie!!!! Love your take and thanks for the tutorial on the letters!! Awesome

Amanda Johnson said...

Love your take on the sketch! I love those letters...I might have to give that a try!! I am a follower :)

Becky said...

Stef, you always have such great LO's!! I love all the little embellishments on your page. I'm really going to have to try that with some die cut letters! Awesome page!!

DanaMK said...

Great job - love your layout! I love all the design elements to it!

Beth Hallgren said...

So cool! Now I have to run out and get one of those paper crimpers :)

Diana Fisher said...

Fabulous job on the Jillibean-like alphas! Wow! And the page you made is great!! :)

melshappyscrappyplace said...

I really like your LO--the birdhouses are precious. Great job on the alphas too. I am now following your blog :)

Lauram said...

So adorable!!! I love the bird houses and you DS pushing the bubble mower. I have been making letters like these for a while. I have never had the Jillibean ones :)

Lauram said...

And I am a regular follower :D

Ashley Horton said...

I LOVE your lo Steffanie!! All of it is adorable...the papers, the way you did your title, and the especially the branch with the little bird houses! I really love the corrugated alphas you made! Just like the Jillibean! Convo me when you get a chance and let me know where you bought your crimper. I had one way back a long time ago, but it wasn't a good one.

designingdms said...

Great Lo! Love the alphas you made!

Angela said...

Wow! I am really digging your cute layout! Great pictures of the kids helping out! Love it!

KellyF said...

Love how you made your own alphas, good job! Your layout rocks!

Cassie said...

Love what you did on this layout! It reminds me to make my own crimped titles!

Cassie said...

Oh, and of course I became a follower!

csewy said...

Steffanie-I really like your take on the sketch and your corrugated alphas!! Love the tree branch and bird houses, darling!! The photos are darling...have a good weekend!!

Janice said...

What a fabulous layout. I love the little clusters of embellishments. So much eye candy!
janice

GLOANN said...

Steffi, love your take on the sketch. And now I want a crimper. Never had any desire for one before now.

Snips and Snails said...

I love your take on the sketch-super cute! The corrugated alphas are fabulous. I am now a follower.

Adele said...

Absolutely adorable!!!! Love those bird houses hanging from the branch. You're one talented scrappie lady!

yokaye said...

Oh my...so much to say about that super cute LO! Sweet pics, great idea with the corr. alpha...and those little birdhouses are the perfect little touch. Looks great! I'm oficially a follower now :)

Auntie Em said...

Love your LO! And I can still see the bones of the sketch but I love how you made it your own. Great idea for the alphas. I love the variety you used for the title. The birdhouses are too cute!
Thanks for sharing! :)

I'm a follower so I'll be back!

ELLEN said...

Wonderful departure from the sketch! I can still see the 'bones' of it, yet it is so original too! I loveyour corrugated letters and the cute embellishments you used. I am now a follower!

Gloria said...

I love how you took the sketch and really made it your own. The corrugated letters are awesome. Guess I'll have to add a crimper to my shopping list LOL! So sweet!

alisonm said...

OK, so you just ran 2 sets of letters through a crimper and placed them on top of each other for more dimension?? Awesome!

alisonm said...

I am not a follower, but I will be as soon as I figure out how to load my photo!

Megan D said...

I love how you moved the picture to the bottom. I always struggle with adapting to meet my needs. Looks awesome!

photochic said...

Wow- I LOVE LOVE LOVE your layout!!!! The color combo is amazing. And I love the DIY corrugated alphas! They look a lot like the "real thing." :) I can't become a follower- the computer won't load that part of the page! :(

All about UNC! said...

Awesome layout Steph! Love your corregated letters. You are so talented!

Ladyofthelake318 said...

Cute cute photos! What a great layout!! I'm a new follower!

susan ott said...

I definitely need to get that crimping tool... Your layout is absolutely beautiful!!! Great job.

Andrea said...

GREAT LO! i love the tree branch in it -- really adds to it! I also love how you showed the difference between the alphas. I have made my own corrugated alphas with my crimper too! I'm a follower!

Kimberly said...

I love the layout especially how you made your own letters.
Kimberly

Jennifer DeWolfe said...

What an adorable layout! I love the freedom you used with this sketch. Oh and those bird houses are too stinking cute!

lalmack said...

Nice job, Steff! You are so creative!

Karen said...

I just adore the little birdhouses!
Thanks for sharing,
Karen

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS